Horror Classic 27 of 50: BLUEBEARD

So, you know how I'm watching 50 old horror movies for this blog? And you know how sometimes it's been very, very difficult to find the willpower to carry on? Well, the other day I was in the Virgin Megastore, and what do you think I saw? I'll tell you what I saw. This:

TWO HUNDRED FIFTY MOVIES! And it's by the same video label as my 50-movie pack. My first thought is, where did they find 200 more crazy old horror movies? My second thought, of course, is, I sure am glad this isn't the DVD set I got for Christmas. I'd go completely bonkers before I finished watching 250 of these things.

Speaking of things, (Is that a great transition or what?) this week I watched Bluebeard, a 1944 film which is not, as I expected, an adaptation of the old story of the ugly, many-wived Bluebeard. Nor does it have anything to do with Kurt Vonnegut's novel Bluebeard, other than the fact that both of them include a few allusions to the original story.

Synopsis
The place: Paris. A dead woman is pulled out of the Seine river, the latest victim of a serial killer who has been dubbed "Bluebeard" because he strangles women, much like the guy in that old story I mentioned up there, if you were paying attention.

Meanwhile, local puppeteer Gaston performs his latest marionette opera, to the delight of a young amateur seamstress named Lucille. He and Lucille chat backstage after the show, and he asks her if she could make some new costumes for his puppets, and it's obvious they're totally into each other, but this doesn't sit well with Gaston's ex, Rene.
She confronts Gaston later, and rather than listen to her whining, he strangles her with a cravat.

Wait, what? He strangled her! He's Bluebeard!

So he's a puppeteer, a serial killer... does he wear any other hats? Yes, actually, he's a painter, but when his art dealer, Pointy Goatee Man, shows up, Gaston tells him he's through with painting. It sure is a good thing Pointy Goatee Man hasn't already sold Gaston's latest painting, which happens to be a portrait of his last victim. That would look mighty suspicious if anyone ever saw it.

Whoops... turns out he has sold it, which is not good news for Gaston, because pretty soon police inspector Renard is combing the city in search of the artist who painted the picture of the chick that just died.

Meanwhile, Lucille and Gaston continue to flirt, and for some reason he asks her about four more times if she can make costumes for his puppets without her ever actually doing it. Oh, but guess who's buddies with Inspector Renard? It's Lucille's sister, Francine, who helps the police hatch a plan to catch the elusive painter/killer. It almost works, too -- Francine comes face-to-face with Gaston... but then he goes ahead and kills her with his cravat. Bummer.

To make a long story short, Lucille eventually deduces that Gaston is Bluebeard. Will the police take down the murderous artist before Lucille becomes his next victim?

Is It Scary?
I have to give this film credit -- although this was one of the worst film-to-DVD transfers I've come across so far, there were actually a few scenes with some genuine excitement and suspense.

Lessons I Learned
  • Beware of puppeteers who carry cravats.
My Favorite Lines
  • "He won't need no string to make her talk!"
    -Gaston's assistant, when Gaston invites Lucille backstage
  • Investigator: "You are an artist's model?"
    Artist's model: "Sure I am. What do take me for?"
    Investigator (smirking): "That is beside the point."
Body Count
Five. That Bluebeard gets around.

Comments

• What the heck is a cravat?

• Gaston is played by John Carradine, who was David Carradine's dad. There's a definite family resemblance.

• This movie was all right, I guess. At first I thought it was going to be a mystery and we wouldn't find out Bluebeard's identity until the end, so I was pretty surprised when the film came right out and told us it was Gaston about 15 minutes in. There were several scenes that just felt like filler, though.

• Toward the end, Gaston tells Lucille a long story about his first murder. I think it was supposed to explain why he kills women, but I didn't really understand his murderer logic. If anyone has seen the movie and is a psychologist, please explain things to me in the comment section below.

• You don't see too many movies about marionette experts. The only other one I can think of is Being John Malkovich... John Cusack's character was a big sad sack, but at least he wasn't dumping anyone in the river.

Letter grade for Bluebeard: C+
Next film in the 50-movie set: The Corpse Vanishes. Here's a challenge for you, the readers of this blog: At what point in the film do you think the corpse will vanish? Post your guess (e.g. "10 minutes in," "17 minutes in") in the comments!

Comments

A cravat looks better than an ascot but doesn't have as nifty a name.

Popular posts from this blog

50 Horror Classics: The Wrap-up

BONUS: Puss in Boots (1988) starring Christopher Walken